One of the most crucial aspects of the visa process to study in Canada is ensuring that you submit the right documentation when applying. Missing items or incorrectly completed sections of the application can result in long delays, or potentially the rejection of the application entirely.

For this reason, we recommend working with an immigration lawyer who specializes in submitting visa applications on behalf of international students, and who can walk you through each step of the visa process to study in Canada and tailor your application to success.

Obtaining a printed study permit at the airport is an essential part of the visa process to study in Canada.

What is a study permit?

The study permit is a document issued by immigration Canada that allows foreign nationals to study at designated institutions in Canada. Keystone School is a ministry-inspected school that is considered a designated institution.

Most students need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly, or transit through, a Canadian airport as well as a study permit to study at Keystone International School.

Students should not use an electronic kiosk when arriving in Canada. Please see a Canada Border Services Agent upon arrival. Students will need to show the agent their Study Permit Approval letter in order to receive the printed copy of their study permit. Students need this document for school, and should not leave the airport without it. If a student does not collect their study permit upon arrival in Canada, there will be additional fees to return to the airport or a border crossing to obtain it. All of the above are essential parts of the visa process to study in Canada and must be adhered to.

Find out more about visa process to study in Canada and the application below.

Please reach us at if you cannot find an answer to your question.

International students enrolled at Keystone School for an academic year or more are required to obtain a study permit. International students are responsible for ensuring that their study permits are valid at all times.

Document requirements may vary depending on your local visa office and are outlined on your GCKey Account after completing the questionnaire or in the Document Checklist.

You may be required to obtain a medical examination and/or biometrics as part of your initial study permit application.

  • Check if you are required to have a medical exam here.
  • Check if you are required to have biometrics here.

All minor children under the age of 18 will need to appoint a custodian (a responsible, adult Canadian citizen or permanent resident) in order to study in Canada. More information can be found here.

To be a custodian, you must be a responsible adult, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident residing in Ontario.

We also provide custodianship for students as a school – for more information, please contact us directly.

  • Providing consent as needed by the school for academic programs and activities.
  • Assisting the student in finding proper medical care as needed.
  • Acting as the student’s emergency contact.
  • Attending parent-teacher interviews.
  • Advocating for the student on behalf of parents regarding any academic/behavioural/emotional issues.
  • Advising parents immediately of any academic/behavioural/emotional issues.
  • Monitoring the student.
  • Attending orientations and meetings organized by their school.
  • Maintaining correct custodian contact information with the Legal Authorities and the International Students and Admissions Office.

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. That 90 day period lets you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay. You can find more detailed information here.

International students can invite their parents to visit them in Canada. Parents can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization. We suggest to that you work with an immigration consultant for advice. More information can be found here. Please get in touch with us directly for the contact information of our recommended immigration consultant.

A full tuition fee refund (minus the non-refundable fees) will be granted if Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) do not issue the study permit. To obtain a full tuition fee refund, the student must submit the following documents within a maximum two weeks of the issue date of the original refusal letter from IRCC:

  1. A copy of the original letter of refusal received from IRCC.
  2. A copy of the official Keystone Letter of Acceptance.
  3. A copy of the original receipt of tuition payment.
  4. A completed and signed Refund Request Form from the parent/guardian or adult student.

No refund will be issued if the student fails to submit any of the above within two weeks from the issue date of the original refusal letter from IRCC.

Please refer to the Government of Canada website here for details.