What is a study permit?

The study permit is a document issued by immigration Canada that allows foreign nationals to study at designated institution in Canada. Keystone International School is a ministry inspected school that is considered a designated institution.

Most students need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly, or transit through, a Canadian airport as well as a study permit to study at Keystone International School.

Students should not use an electronic kiosk when arriving in Canada. Please see a Canada Border Services Agent upon arrival. Students will need to show the agent their Study Permit Approval letter in order to receive the printed copy of the study permit. Students need this document for school, and should not leave the airport without it. If a student does not collect their study permit upon arrival in Canada, there will be additional fees to return to the airport or a border crossing to obtain it.

What is a Temporary Resident Visa?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is also referred to as an “entry visa” or a “visitor’s visa”. It is a sticker placed in your passport and provides different authorization than a study permit. A TRV allows you to enter or re-enter Canada while a study permit gives you permission to study in Canada.

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.

Find out more about study permit application and visa below.

Please reach us at [email protected] if you cannot find an answer to your question.

Note that all links below will open in a new page.

International students enrolled at Keystone International School for an academic year or more are required to obtain a study permit. International students are responsible for ensuring that their study permits are valid at all times.

Document requirements may vary depending on your local visa office and are outlined on your GCKey Account after completing the questionnaire or in the Document Checklist.

You may be required to obtain a medical examination and/or biometrics as part of your initial study permit application.

  • Check if you are required to have a medical exam here.
  • Check if you are required to have biometrics here.
A full tuition fee refund (minus the non-refundable registration fee) will be granted if Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) do not issue the study permit. To obtain a full tuition fee refund, the student must submit the following documents within sixty (60) calendars days of the issue date of the original refusal letter from IRCC:

  1. A copy of the original letter of refusal received from IRCC.
  2. A copy of the official Keystone Letter of Acceptance.
  3. A copy of the original receipt of tuition payment.
  4. A completed and signed Refund Request Form from the parent/guardian or adult student.

No refund will be issued if the student fails to submit any of the above within sixty (60) days from the issue date of the original refusal letter from IRCC.

Minor children under the age of 18 will need to appoint a custodian (a responsible, adult Canadian citizen or permanent resident) in order to study in Canada. More information can be found here.

To be a custodian, you must be a responsible adult, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident residing in Ontario.

We also provide custodianship for the student as a school – for more information, please contact us directly.

  • Providing consent as needed by the school for academic programs and activities.
  • Finding proper medical care.
  • Acting as the student’s emergency contact.
  • Attending parent-teacher interviews.
  • Advocating for the student on behalf of parents regarding any academic/behavioural/emotional issues.
  • Advising parents immediately of any academic/behavioural/emotional issues.
  • Monitoring the student.
  • Attending orientations and meetings organized by their school.
  • Maintaining correct custodian contact information with the Legal Authorities and the International Students and Admissions Office.

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay. You can find more detailed information here.

International students can invite their parents to visit them in Canada. Parents can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization. We suggest to that you work with an immigration consultant for advice. More information can be found here. You can find our recommendations of immigration lawyers in Toronto here.

Please refer to the Government of Canada website here for details.